TSAVO EAST AND WEST
TSAVO EAST AND WEST NATIONAL PARKS.
Tsavo is made up of two separate parks, Tsavo East National Park and Tsavo West National Park. Located in Coast Province of Kenya in between Nairobi City and Mombasa. It is borders the Chyulu Hills National Park and the Mkomazi Game Reserve in Tanzania.
The twin parks form one of Africa’s largest wilderness reserves. Consisting of 10 million acres of pure wilderness made of savannah, range and hills, acacia, montane forest and extensive river system. They cover 4% of Kenya’s total land area of 11,747sq.km in the Southeast of Kenya. Rising to 1,200 m above sea level, it has warm and dry climate and features bushy grasslands, open plains, semi-arid acacia scrubs and wood lands.
The Park acquired its name ‘Tsavo’, meaning ‘slaughter’ from the Akamba people, who first migrated to the area some five centuries ago – long before the arrival of the more famous leonine slaughterers, the ‘Man-Eaters’ of Tsavo. The Park is home to most of larger mammals, vast herds of dust red-red elephant, Rhino, buffalo, lion, leopard, hippos, waterbucks, Kudus, Gerenuk and Hirola.
Unlike Tsavo West it is the epitome of the African bush, with mile upon mile of arid, thorny scrubland sweeping to the horizon. On the other hand Tsavo West Park lies on the western side of the Mombasa – Nairobi Highway and is painted on a sprawling canvas of endless skies, emerald hills, liquid lava flows, palm-fringed rivers, teeming wildlife and sparkling oases, set against the unforgettable backdrop of mile upon mile cloud-shadowed African savannah.
Their sizes. Tsavo East National Park is one of the oldest parks in Kenya, located South East of Kenya near the Town of Voi in the Taita-Taveta District of Coast Province, inland from the Coast, it is 13,747 sq.km. While the Tsavo West National Park is also located in the Coast Province of Kenya covering an area of 9,065 sq.km. The park was opened in April 1948.